Monday, October 31, 2016

THE TROUBLES (ALTERNATE VERSION)

I am my own worst enemy.  I argue with myself on a daily basis and for the longest time, that voice in my head has been a negative one that likes to point out my flaws.  

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before or not, but if I did, it needs to be stated again for emphasis here.  

There have been more times in the past where the negative voice in my head wins out over the other ones.  And you know what I mean by "voices", like in that Pixar movie "Inside Out"?  Like that.  It got so that I could only hear the negative.

So its interesting, when I hear both versions of this song, intellectually I know its about an argument between two people who have had a lot of tension between them for a long time, for me its an argument with myself and its dealing with depression.

You think it’s easier
To get your fingers out of trouble
The trouble is you
You think it’s easier
To keep your hands out of trouble
When the trouble is you


But then:

I have a will for survival
So you can hurt me then
And hurt me some more
I can live with denial
But you’re not my troubles anymore


Each time you try to fight against the negativity its difficult, because it feels stronger than you.  But, there is a glimmer of hope in the song:

I stepped outside 
Like I had never seen the night before
Looking at the stars
That never looked so bright before
This crooked heart 
It never felt so light before
A brand new man
A brand new man
Yes I am


It's still a daily struggle, and, to borrow from another U2 song, some days are better than others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment